You are here
Functions of DOL
Directorate of Libraries comes under administrative control of Higher and Technical Education Department, Govt. of Maharashtra. As per provisions in The Maharashtra Public Libraries, Act 1967. Directorate came in to existence on 2nd May 1968, Directorate of Libraries having today
50 offices. Also 12858 Govt. Recognized Grant-in-aid Public Libraries under the control of Directorate as on 31 March 2013. It includes
|A||Head Quarter of Directorate||1|
|1||State Central Library||1|
|2||Govt. Divisional Libraries||6|
|3||Dr. Babasheb Ambedkar Memorial Reference Library||1|
|4||Govt. District Libraries||35|
|5||Assistant Director Offices||6|
|B||Public Libraries (As on 31.03.2013)|
The following functions are carried out by Directorate of Libraries for the development of Public Libraries movement in the State.
1) To recognize The Public Library and provide Ad-hoc and Maintenance grants.
2) To prepare schemes for the development of Public library movement.
3) To create the network of libraries and library services from state central library to divisional, district, Taluka and village level.
4) To prepare and publish a classified Index of Books published in the Marathi language every year
5) Preserving and promoting the collection of rare books and manuscripts.
6) Encourage the development of government and Public Libraries.
7) Properly using Funds from The State Public Library grant.
8) Providing financial assistance received under the Scheme of Raja Ram Mohan Roy Library Foundation for Public Libraries.
9) The State Government may recommend names of members to the Library Council.
10) Organizing of The State Library Council
11) To guide Workers for establishment of Public Library
12) To develop reading culture and Library movement in society State Government gives following Awards annually-
- Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Excellent urban-rural Library each category of award
- Dr. S. R.. Ranganathan Granthamitra Excellent field worker and worker award